Residency in Denmark after finishing study - what evidence needs to be provided?

I will be completing a semester outside of Denmark during my Masters program, but I understand that to be eligible for A-kasse I will need to be resident in Denmark again by 14 days after my study has finished. What exactly are the requirements for this? Will I need either :
-a CPR address registered in Denmark
-a signed tenancy agreement
-Or just to physically be in the country

I also have a similar question regarding the requirement to be a 'resident' one day before starting the course. Does this mean that you would have to be fully registered with a CPR number a day before your course starts, or is it enough to have a signed tenancy agreement for this date? If so, at what point does one have to provide this information?
in A-kasse for graduates by

1 Answer



you need to stay in Denmark, which means that you have an address in Denmark. I assume you are already registered with a CPR because you are currently study in Denmark (or have been before completing semester outside of Denmark).

I am not sure if you already are outside Denmark now to complete the semester, but you dont need to unregister from the danish CPR if you have 1 semester abroad, and in this case it is very easy to register your address again when returning to Denmark.

As you maybe have seen in our questions received from other users, this "residence" requirement is object for some doubt, and therefor we have today send a question to clarify this, to the The Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment (

We will off course update you/this post with the information, when we receive answer from them (however it can take some days..).

But as far as we know at this point it is crucial that you actually stay in Denmark - you are not obliged to register an address in Denmark before after 3 months (non EU/EAA citizens) and after 6 months (EU/EAA citizens).

But if you are not public registered with an address, then you need to prove in other ways that you actually are staying in Denmark. We believe this could be a signed tenancy agreement or other documents proving you are in Denmark.

However we have asked STAR to exactly tell us what kind of documents/evidence the A-kasse can demand.

You need to provide the information when you apply for Unemployment benefits as an graduate from your A-kasse.

We will be back with an update as soon as we get the answer from STAR.

Best regards,


Thank you for your reply! That would be very useful, unfortunately I've have to notify folkeregister that I have left Denmark as I will be out of the country for a over one semester so this is longer than six months.
we have now received answer from The Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment regarding what exactly are the requirements for reside in Denmark at least 1 day before beginning education as well as again at latest 14 days after finishing of education.

According to their answer we can say following:

The requirement of residence means that the applicant must have an address in Denmark and that this address may be considered to be the applicant's actual residence. The address must also be considered as the applicant's current and usual place of residence.

The assessment of whether the residence requirement is met is based in first place on the public registered address. However, it is not a condition for fulfilling the residence requirement that the member has a public registered address.

If the applicant has not been registered in the public address register 1 day before and again 14 days after (when he or she claims to have been domiciled in Denmark), it is up to the applicant to prove that he/she has been resident in Denmark.

It must be a real residence. A mailbox address or poste restante is not sufficient.

The Danish Agency for Labour Market and Recruitment ( says in their answer, that a landlord's statement that the applicant has rented a property from a given date may be sufficient proof of a place of residence.

STAR also says that the A-kasse must make a concrete assessment in each case.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,