Transfer rights to another EU-country?

Are there some kind of time limits when transferring the Danish A-kasse membership to another EU-country
- if you are qualified for the benefits?
- if your not yet qualified for the benefits (new A-kasse membership or not earned enough)?

The reason why I ask this is if there is any chance to have any break or unpaid vacation before registering as a jobseeker in the new EU country?
in Rights within EU by

1 Answer



we are not sure what kind of "transfer" you are referring to.

There are two ways to transfer rights from the danish A-kasse system to another EU/EEA-country.

1. Having dagpenge up to 3 months while looking for job in another EU-country. We have described the requirements here.

2. Moving permanently to another EU-country, and transfer the earned rights (membership periods and working periods) from the danish A-kasse. We have described the requirements in this article.

Regarding the right to transfer earned rights in the Unemployment system, there are in many ways common rules for all EU-countries.

When transfering rights there is no difference whether you are already eligible for Unemployment benefits or not. The rules for transfering should be the same.

As you can see in the mentioned article one of the most important things to do when transfering rights is to apply for membership of an Unemployment Fund /Scheme in the country you will move to within 8 weeks after you ceased to be insured in Denmark.

As mentioned we do not know the rules for other countries, and our answer here should only be seen as an guidance. We strongly recommend you to contact the authorities responsible for Unemployment benefits in the country you planning to move to.

Different EU-countries can have specific further requirements that you must meet, before you will be able to transfer your rights. For instance for people moving to Denmark there is an additional requirements saying that they must within the 8 weeks begin work in Denmark of at least 296 hours over 12 weeks / 3 months. It is very important that you find out of eventual additional requirements in the country you move to.

You can read about Unemployment Schemes and find contact information etc, in our section for Unemployment Insurance in other EU-countries:

Best regards,