Get help about Unemployment Insurance in Denmark
0 votes
I work in Denmark and live in Sweden and I am not a EU citizen. Who (Denmark or Sweden) would give me unemployment benefit in case I am fired.

Best regards
in Dagpenge by (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
As a basic rule, you are subject to the legislation of the country where you actually work as an employed or a self-employed person. It doesn't matter where you live, or if you are EU or NON-EU citizen. Howerer as an NON-EU citizen it requires proper work-permit.
If you work in a different EU country from the one where you live and you return to your country of residence daily, or at least once a week, you are a cross-border worker (so-called "frontier worker"). The country where you work is responsible for your social security benefits.
As a cross-border commuter - whether you are employed or self-employed:
You pay social security contributions to and are covered by the EU country where you work (Denmark).
If you lose your job, you should apply for benefits in the country where you live (Sweden).
You can also find this information here:

Hope this answer your question. Otherwise write a comment.

Best regards,
by (25.2k points)
we think this F.A.Q from The European Commission also will help clarify things for you:
This is targeted cross-border workers.
Hi Anders,

Thank you very much for the answer. It seems that paying A-kasse Denmark is right as I work in Denmark as per the link for EU social security system provided above. In case I am fired I shall ask social security in Sweden (where I live).

Once again thanks for quick and precise answer.
Best regards


Welcome to A-kasser Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from the support-team at and/or from other members of the community.
You can also help other members by answer/comment their questions.
This is a service from,

The Guide about A-kasse

438 questions
440 answers
428 users