Receiving benefits abroad and cancelling A-Kasse without new job

I have been job searching in Denmark for a while now and will be taking the unemployment benefits abroad in a few weeks. As far as I know, you are allowed to do so for up to three months and are required to come back before this period ends if you haven't found a job abroad.
However, in case I do not find a job within this three months, could I just quit being a member of my A-Kasse and thus stop receiving unemployment benefits? Or do I need to hand in some form of documentation that I have found a job abroad in order to be able to quit being a member of A-Kasse? I am not necessarily planning on returning within three months since I am unsure if I will be able to find a job in Denmark afterwards.
in A-kasse for graduates by

1 Answer


yes you always just stop being a member of an A-kasse. You can just call the A-kasse to cancel membership.

But remember that canceling A-kasse membership have serious consequences in the meaning that you will loose you seniority in the A-kasse, and will need to start from scratch again if you later want to become member again.

If you keep your membership, but you don't come back to Denmark after a jobsearch period in another EU/EEA-country then you cannot receive unemployment benefits in Denmark again before you have had at least 296 hours of work within a period of 12 weeks.

So you must be aware that is can have serious consequences if you do not return to Denmark after a 3 month job-search period in another EU-country.

But off course you can always quit membership and therefore also say no to receive any more unemployment benefits. And you do not need to provide any documentation to cancel a membership.

Best regards,

Anders Weber,